In my advanced specialist skills workshop, I worked on my logline and the development of my script in order to reveal all information about the main character in a short timeframe. I consulted with a third year scriptwriter who read through my premise, and delved in to the main plot of my project in order to get the key points for the logline, alongside the theme and main character, we found "Black Comedy", as well as the style of the project i.e. "Webisodes", and most obviously the "Main Plot Point".
This was my first attempt at a logline for my script (picture below). I intend to produce a first premise paragraph next, developing into a page of descriptive informative bullet points as to what goes on (Beat Sheet), and finally a One Page run down of the events within my project.
My first attempt at a logline reads as follows: A modern satirical exposure of an iconic english gangster, at the height of infamy, mismanages betrayal at the heart of his operations.
When reading through this, I found the nationality of the gangster to be less important. The audience would find out through watching the episodes and don't necessarily need to be told outright. I used english to describe the gangster due to the very different 'types' you get, i.e. English Kray based gangsters like in Legend (2015), or American mobster gangsters, as in The Departed (2006).
Power words included; exposure, iconic, infamy, heart. These strong words create powerful visual imagery of which upon consulting with my lecturer would be of use to involve in order to set the tone of the piece.
To develop the first idea of my logline, I then jumbled up the sections of information to give a different perspective and to twist the idea on its head. This resulted in a reversed version which sparked new ideas.
Reads as follows: At the height of his infamy, an iconic gangster deals with betrayal.
This really took the flesh out of my logline and gave be a better understanding of the features of my project I wanted to force into a short 25 word limit (or there abouts). Going back to my earlier point of finding key phrases to include, I then jumbled up the words themselves in order to join new phrases from what I originally had, and so that I could give a format and context to my piece. The third year Scriptwriter who I spoke too suggested it might hold a stronger logline if I were to reveal a bit of the storyline through mentioning a 'personal' or 'innercircle' betrayal. I felt this could be used to my advantage as I knew I had to try to get the tone of my piece across.
I came up with three key phrases:
1. An infamous gangster
2. Opens the heart of his operations
3. Personal betrayal
I then used these to develop my final logline draft so far, which I'm 95% happy with and so will return to shortly.
Final Logline draft from the session: A webisodical black comedy focusing on an infamous gangster who risks everything to open the heart of his operations, exposing paranoia, personal betrayal and an unstoppable force. (27 words).
In terms of creative writing, the use of the rule of three makes the logline question what could link those three issues together.
This was my first attempt at a logline for my script (picture below). I intend to produce a first premise paragraph next, developing into a page of descriptive informative bullet points as to what goes on (Beat Sheet), and finally a One Page run down of the events within my project.
![]() |
| Logline 1 - Click to enlarge |
When reading through this, I found the nationality of the gangster to be less important. The audience would find out through watching the episodes and don't necessarily need to be told outright. I used english to describe the gangster due to the very different 'types' you get, i.e. English Kray based gangsters like in Legend (2015), or American mobster gangsters, as in The Departed (2006).
Power words included; exposure, iconic, infamy, heart. These strong words create powerful visual imagery of which upon consulting with my lecturer would be of use to involve in order to set the tone of the piece.
To develop the first idea of my logline, I then jumbled up the sections of information to give a different perspective and to twist the idea on its head. This resulted in a reversed version which sparked new ideas.
![]() |
| Logline 2 - Click to enlarge |
This really took the flesh out of my logline and gave be a better understanding of the features of my project I wanted to force into a short 25 word limit (or there abouts). Going back to my earlier point of finding key phrases to include, I then jumbled up the words themselves in order to join new phrases from what I originally had, and so that I could give a format and context to my piece. The third year Scriptwriter who I spoke too suggested it might hold a stronger logline if I were to reveal a bit of the storyline through mentioning a 'personal' or 'innercircle' betrayal. I felt this could be used to my advantage as I knew I had to try to get the tone of my piece across.
I came up with three key phrases:
1. An infamous gangster
2. Opens the heart of his operations
3. Personal betrayal
I then used these to develop my final logline draft so far, which I'm 95% happy with and so will return to shortly.
![]() |
| Logline 3 - Click to enlarge |
In terms of creative writing, the use of the rule of three makes the logline question what could link those three issues together.



No comments:
Post a Comment