Wednesday, 18 November 2015

Analysis of Chosen Equipment

Canon 70D




- Issue of recording sound

The only challenge I may face when filming is failing to get a good quality of sound. For this reason, I plan on recording the audio twice on the Camera, using on body microphones, and through a TASCAM recorder. This enables me to have backups to play with and alter in the editing process using an audio editing software such as Audacity. However, due to my first person filming style, the Camera will be close to the persons face for the most part, and so sound recording may prove to be less of an issue. Another flaw with using a boom is the transportable nature of it, when as a student, I don't have a car to hand in order to take it from location to location. Also, due to the close nature of my chosen filming style, to have a boom right in the actors face in close scenes seems a little unnecessary.

- Tripod/Arm brace for stability

I researched into the issue of stability within the usage of DSLR cameras to film feature type footage. The issue was the cameraman/woman would struggle to stand still for a long period of time. This in time creates a shaky image without a smooth and solid finish which can look amateur-like if unintentional.
To rectify this problem, I looked into possible hardware which I could rent or invest toward in order to get a more solid finish to my images. In terms of stills, this was not a problem as the image is already stationary. I found a 'Arm Brace Stabilizer' of which acts like a sleeve on the forearm, attached to a stabilizing pole and weights to balance out the weight of the camera. This then acts like a steadycam to give the strong framed finish desired of good amateur film-makers.


- Tascam/on body microphones

After discussing the potential problem of sound, and factoring in the weather, I decided to use a TASCAM recorder to record the sound more than once as a back up. This enables me to edit the audi and be able to choose which to use. Due to my first person camera filming style, the camera will be near the character speaking most times, and so should pick up the sound easily. Also due to the fact I am adopting this filming style during production, a majority of camera shots will be away from the characters face and will be focusing on what they are talking about rather than if the image syncs and matches the audio. This will be a challenge, and is a main flaw of not using a boom, however due to the close nature of my filming set-up, I feel that this could work perfectly fine.


- Editing software 

Hopefully when I begin the post-production section of my project in the new year, I will have saved enough money to buy Premier Pro editing software of which I am sitting refresher Seminars for in order to develop my editing skills. In earlier terms I found it difficult to keep up with the teaching of editing due to not having had much experience in it before.

Specialist Skills Workshop (Refresher Editing)

Within my refresher editing skills seminars, I am learning not only basic skills, but also asking about how to overlay audio, how to colour grade and how to change audio levels within the software. Although we have a set schedule, I am learning new editing skills of which I would ideally like to apply to my final piece during the post production stage. It is important that I learn basic audio editing in order to apply to my sound in post if necessary to enable a higher quality of film.
During my first seminar, we edited an older news footage piece together with interviews, audio overlays, matching spoken sound to what was seen on the screen and furthermore creating a quick news package. I've learnt how to make a flush cut so that the sound and image start with a 1 second interval which gives a sharp snappy entrance without atmos buzzing before anything starts. Although I sometimes struggle to keep up with the speed of the seminar being taught, I am able to grasp the key concepts from the workshop.




I did some research into the type of camera I wanted to use, and looked at the pros and cons of using such camera. I was aware I would have to get a tripod for stability purposes, but my main reason for using a smaller handheld DLSR, is because although it still gives amazing image quality and sharpness, it is easily mobile from location to location when filming. This really appealed to the nature of my shoots, as I would only be shooting 2 minutes of scripted and storyboarded footage in each location, so therefore knew exactly where and when I wanted to shoot my scenes.


Here is a quick summary of my chosen camera; Canon 70D on TechRadar: http://www.techradar.com/reviews/cameras-and-camcorders/cameras/digital-slrs-hybrids/canon-eos-70d-1162746/review

No comments:

Post a Comment